To apply for this position, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to attach your cover letter & resume.
This position manages the organization’s internal and external presence and branding, including its social and regular media, general communications, and website maintenance.
- Organization Branding
- Create, in collaboration with executive leadership, and implement brand guidelines for the organization.
- Train staff in the brand guidelines and ensure they are consistently adhering to them.
- Communications Calendar
- Maintain and follow a coordinated communications calendar for communications activities pertaining to internal and external audiences.
- Internal Communications
- Gather content for, design, and send bi-monthly staff newsletter.
- Create and manage employee of the month nomination, selection, and notification/celebration process, and post winners on social media.
- Develop process for getting timely program highlights from program managers.
- External Communications
- Lead current re-design of organization’s website (on Joomla platform).
- Regularly update website with new and current content.
- Social Media
- Develop and regularly update a social media toolkit to be used by staff and board members.
- Expand organization’s presence on social media by regularly posting to multiple platforms based on agreed upon strategic goals.
- Manage live broadcasting, as appropriate, of events to social media channels.
- Manage who can post, on behalf of the organization, to social media channels.
- Media Relations
- Create a media plan and keep an updated media roster.
- Work with program managers on topics and then write and regularly submit press releases.
- Provide development team with logos, website platform set-up, collateral design, marketing, and communications for fundraising events.
- Assist on-site at fundraising events.
- Work with development team to design an annual appeal and other fundraising materials as needed.
- Gather content for, design, and send monthly newsletter.
- Work with development team to ensure database (e-Tapestry) has the most current constituent contact information.
- Ensure organization has current brochures available for distribution and work with program managers on any needed brochure development.
- Work with program managers on any necessary items (graphics / flyers / schwag / etc.) needed for community outreach.
- Using data and in collaboration with program managers, identify potential needs for community engagement around specific goals, particularly diversity.
- Fully utilize available technology to meet data analysis and planning needs related to community engagement.
- Other design/communications-related duties as assigned.
- Follow the protocol, policies, and procedures of the department and agency.
- Maintain a collegial working relationship with all staff and provide support for management team.
- Complete and submit reports as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality of client information and comply with HIPAA guidelines.
- Provide culturally responsive services that are equitable, respectful, and relevant to people from a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Attend meetings and trainings as required.
- Other duties as required.
Education / Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience in the nonprofit sector preferred.
- Minimum of three years of experience social media and online marketing.
- Minimum of three years of experience writing and editing copy for social media, web pages, and newsletters.
- Minimum of three years designing and producing brochures and/or other collateral.
- Comfort and experience with MS Office, website management tools, and design platforms (Canva / InDesign/ Illustrator).
Skills and Abilities
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- A strategic thinker who can respond quickly to changing circumstances and take advantage of emerging opportunities.
- Detail-oriented with excellent proofreading skills.
- Able to shoot, edit, and place videos, photos, and other media to various channels.
- Working knowledge of SEO and analytics tools preferred.
- Able to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives with minimum supervision.
- Able to build and maintain rapport with youth and adults from diverse backgrounds and personalities.
- Have effective and flexible communications skills.
- Able to maintain confidentiality.
- Able to follow a pre-determined work schedule.
- Remote work, with occasional in-person meetings at the main office in SE Portland and attendance at events.
- May be required to occasionally work flexible or non-standard work hours, including weekends.
- May need to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time.
- May need to bend, climb, reach, and lift and/or carry up to 30 pounds.
- Employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, subject to accommodation; those needing an accommodation should contact Human Resources.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
Northwest Family Services, through our mission, practices and the services we offer, are committed to the belief that all people deserve dignity and respect. As we serve our communities, we will continue to work together to listen, to learn, and to act to overcome historic values and structures that have led to discrimination and inequities.
We are committed to creating a culture of belonging, where all staff are valued and given opportunity to grow and succeed equitably. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, primary language, ethnic background or socioeconomic status. NWFS pursues policies, strategies, and programs which promote diversity, inclusion, and equity in our daily work. We seek staff who share our vision and commitment to our communities.